Thursday, February 12, 2009

Weezer, Pinkerton

I like four songs on this album, but I also like that there aren't more than six songs that I don't like.

The one thing that Weezer has perfected is the album length.  They get in and they get out.  I used to sing in a group in college and we were always very careful not to stay too long during the requisite encore.  Leave them wanting more, we'd crow.  Weezer does this well.  I'm not sick of them by the time their 35 minutes are up.  

Pinkerton is a fun album in the way that the Blue Album is an album of hits.  It seems obvious that the lads from Weezer enjoyed making this CD, even if Rivers Cuomo was recovering from some major leg surgery at the time.  It feels sincere without seeming uppity, which is often hard for Weezer to achieve.

The songs I like on this album are "No Other One," "The Good Life," "El Scorcho," and "Pink Triangle."  The rest of them sound like Weezer, but nothing really distinguishes one from another.  

No comments: