Thursday, April 2, 2009

For Stars, We Are All Beautiful People

There was a record store in Ann Arbor that I wanted to love more than I did. It was almost entirely used music, balanced in teetering stacks. You had to shift and turn to negotiate your way through the aisles unscathed. That's where I found this album, which I bought without ever having heard or heard of For Stars.

Listening to this album was like finding rough in the rough - you think, in those indie stores, that you're somehow more likely to stumble upon a diamond, but I guess that's probably not true. The lead singer's voice seemed to draw its influences from some combination of Shannon Hoon and Glen Phillips - creaky and out of range. There were some nice moments, I think I remember, but mostly this album just washed over and through me without leaving much of an impression.

No comments: