Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Melanie C, Northern Star

This was on in my car when I was giving my mother a ride back to the hotel where she was staying, and she asked, "Is this The Story?" referring to a band I liked in high school (and, okay, much of college).

A few days later, when the CD was still on in my car, my wife asked me what we were listening to, and I tried to make the case that it was better than one might expect, and she gave me just this withering look, as though I had no sense.

And, as is often the case, I realized that she was kind of right. The reason my mother couldn't tell what we were listening to (other than her not knowing former Spice Girls by name) was because this album sounds like every bland girl-power effort. En Vogue chose a similar route - doing a Rock Song and a Ballad or two and a Dance Number, etc. - but they did it much better. Mel C does not have the pipes to really make this worth it.

Which is too bad, because she was kind of my favorite Spice Girl. Truth be told, I don't mind much of this album - the first song, "Go!," is especially not-bad - but it's just not good enough to leapfrog worthier (and more talented musicians).

No comments: