Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, Broom


I remember a friend saying that he was not a fan of Little Miss Sunshine because it obeyed every indie movie stereotype: the grandfather who swears! the little pageant girl who's homely! and so on! I think I liked it maybe because of the comfort of the familiar patter. Maybe I'm a lesser person for it.
But no one will make me think I'm a lesser person for liking this band, never mind this album. They probably fit into the indie music box quite snugly - just some crazy kids from Missouri! odd pop culture reference in its cumbersome name! But you know what? They embraced the cliche and they did it perfectly. There are some really effective hooks here, and some well-constructed music. The lyrics don't try too hard, and the band doesn't sound like they all wear skinny jeans. They sound earnest - like they actually meant to make an indie album instead of making an album that sounded like an indie album, a meta-indie album that would strain street credibility. Only one track - I forget which one - sort of loses its way, and the spaces before and after some songs can be a little jarring, but you can take the first two tunes and match them up against anything on any disc I own, and they would probably come out ahead.

No comments: